Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Sacrilege!(?)

There is absolutely NO question that the Beatles deserve to be at the top of the heap in the pop/rock pantheon. The Beatles were one of the first bands I dug as a kid (there were actually a few that I latched onto first, but we'll get to that some other time), and I always enjoy listening to them to this day. HOWEVER, I am of the opinion that there are certain Beatles tunes that have fared better in other hands. Some of you are probably seething with rage right now that I have the audacity to float such an idea, I know, but, guess what - I have plenty of evidence to support my claims...

Earth, Wind & Fire - Got to Get You Into My Life
EWF were at the top of their game when they appeared in the film version of 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band,' which has gone down in history as the worst movie musical of all time, and one of the worst films of all time, period. This movie managed to all but ruin a few careers, and proved a setback to quite a few others. Somehow, though, Maurice White, Phillip Bailey, et. al., managed to emerge without a scratch. Moreover, their version of this tune, which originally appeared on Revolver was a HUGE hit for the group, making it to #1 on the Soul/R&B singles chart, and #9 on the Pop chart. For my money, Earth, Wind & Fire's version has a lot more 'zing' to it than the original.


Stevie Wonder - We Can Work It Out
The Beatles' version of this No. 1 single hinges on John's somber middle eight ("Life is very short"), which suggests there's more than a shadow of doubt behind Paul's dogged positivity. In Stevie's magic hands, it's not about a lovers' spat but the whole of humanity: We can, and will, work it out. And, damn, if Stevie's version doesn't make you want to dance, you may want to check for a pulse.


Al Green - I Want To Hold Your Hand
'I Want...' was the first Beatles song I ever heard, I think. For sure, it was the first Fabs tune that left an impression on me. In the Beatles' hands, it's sweet and innocent - barely even a love song. But when the good Reverend gets hold of it, and shouts out 'We got the feeling', he sets about to SHOW us he has the feeling, and, for the life of me, it sounds like a markedly different feeling than John and Paul sang about...especially when Mr. Green breaks out his patented falsetto.

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Kris,
As someone that remembers watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, they hold a very special place in my heart. But, if there was one thing their songs might have been lacking, it was a little funk! The tunes you chose to highlight definitely add that something and then some. Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy your intelligent observations on the music world.
Jeanne