Wednesday, July 14, 2010

...And In the End...The Covers You Make...Are Equal To...a Pile Of Crap

Let me tell you, it's a LOT easier citing examples of BAD Beatles covers, than coming up with good ones. A box set could be compiled, but then, who'd buy it? (A bunch of nutjob Beatle completists, that's who) Without further ado, here are some covers that even the most ardent Beatlemaniac would find hard to swallow. Phony Beatlemania has bitten the dust, indeed!

Sean Connery - In My Life
This sublimely ridiculous soliloquy comes from the fairly recent George Martin tribute album, In My Life. James Bond is licensed to kill; James Bond's voice on a spoken word Beatles cover is licensed to induce the gag reflex.


Lena Horne and Gabor Szabo - Rocky Raccoon
This may be poor timing, but so be it: the next platter that should've been smashed by Maxwell's silver hammer before it got out of the pressing plant belongs to Ms. Lena Horne. The normally oh-so classy Ms. Horne suffered a serious lapse in judgement when she agreed to cover this goofy 'White Album' filler track the renowned jazz guitarist Szabo. She sounds less and less amused as the song wears on. You know what, Lena? I'm right there with ya!


Mrs. Miller - Hard Day's Night
OK, folks, I saved the BEST for last:
When I first decided to post a 'Worst Beatles Covers Of All Time' blog, one of the first bad covers I thought of was Goldie Hawn's (!) version of 'Hard Day's Night'. 'But wait a minute, Kris', I thought to myself, 'What about Mrs. Miller'??? You say you haven't heard of Mrs. Miller? Well, let's just say you haven't lived until you hear the great Elva Miller warble (and I do mean WARBLE) her rendition of the Beatles classic. Behold:

No comments: